A Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson


The case is closed. Five years ago, schoolgirl Andie Bell was murdered by Sal Singh. The police know he did it. Everyone in town knows he did it. But having grown up in the same small town that was consumed by the murder, Pippa Fitz-Amobi isn't so sure.

Rating: 5/5 stars.
Started: 7/01/2020
Finished: 16/02/2020

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder is Holly Jackson's debut novel about a schoolgirl named Pippa Fitz-Amobi who chooses the five year closed case murder of schoolgirl Andie Bell as the topic of her final year school project. Andie Bell went missing just over five years ago, her boyfriend of the time Sal Singh committed suicide and afterwards was accused of the murder. Pip however suspects that this isn't what happened and sets out to prove Sal's innocence. Pippa is not only trying to solve a murder for the final project but is also applying for Cambridge and taking her final exams. 

I loved everything about this book and found it difficult to find any flaws worth mentioning. The pacing was fast but realistic which I was extremely fond of. I found myself sometimes getting so caught up in the book at night, that when I read it I would look at the time and what felt like 10 minutes had actually been an hour later and I didn't realize. I deeply loved the characterization and felt as though I could sit in a room with them and have a conversation, they felt just that real to me. The way the book was written and laid out is amazingly done. With the format of it, you get to read some parts as if you are reading Pip's documentation for the project, which includes interview transcripts, mind maps, drawings and even parts like a diary. I found that to be an interesting addition to the book and I don't think it would have been the same without those aspects added. 

I loved that the story was not focused around strictly romance, like most YA books I have read seems to have - Not that I don't love a bit of romance thrown into a story occasionally but focused around Pip and the case she was solving. However as the story progressed I could tell that something was going to be happening between two of the characters but I LOVED that it wasn't the main focus or even a huge noticeable part of the plot. As I read more and more I found myself going over everything Pippa found and sometimes felt as if I knew the direction the plot was taking me with the information provided. This was not the case. I love that this plot wasn't entirely predictable like some YA books I have read in the past. 

Since reading this book I have learned it is going to be part of a series and I am very excited for its release in April 2020.

Comments